On October 27, 2009, Rhone Resch - President & CEO of Solar Energy Industries Association -- declared, in the City of Anaheim, California, a Solar Bill of Rights...
And we find it very inspirational!
Here you go...
The Solar Bill of Rights
We declare these rights not on behalf of our companies, but on behalf of our customers and our country. We seek no more than the freedom to compete on equal terms and no more than the liberty for consumers to choose the energy source they think best.
1. Americans have the right to put solar on their homes or businesses. Restrictive covenants, onerous connection rules, and excessive permitting and inspections fees prevent many American homes and businesses from going solar.
2. Americans have the right to connect their solar energy system to the grid with uniform national standards. This should be as simple as connecting a telephone or appliance. No matter where they live, consumers should expect a single standard for connecting their system to the electric grid.
3. Americans have the right to Net Meter and be compensated at the very least with full retail electricity rates. When customers generate excess solar power utilities should pay them consumer at least the retail value of that power.
4. The solar industry has the right to a fair competitive environment. The highly profitable fossil fuel industries have received tens of billions of dollars for decades. The solar energy expects a fair playing field, especially since the American public overwhelmingly supports the development and use of solar.
5. The solar industry has the right to equal access to public lands. America has the best solar resources in the world, yet solar companies have zero access to public lands compared to the 45 million acres used by oil and natural gas companies.
6. The solar industry has the right to interconnect and build new transmission lines. When America updates its electric grid, it must connect the vast solar resources in the Southwest to population centers across the nation.
7. Americans have the right to buy solar electricity from their utility. Consumers have no choice to buy clean, reliable solar energy from their utilities instead of the dirty fossil fuels of the past.
8. Americans have the right, and should expect, the highest ethical treatment from the solar industry. Consumers should expect the solar energy industry to minimize its environmental impact, provide systems that work better than advertised, and communicate incentives clearly and accurately.
Resch is president & CEO of the Solar Energy Industries Association. He made this statement before a gathering of thousands of industry professionals at the Solar Power International conference.
Please Don't be Misled, Vote No on Amendment 1 This November!
As you already know the elections are coming up soon, and we want to make sure you are properly informed. Amendment 1…
Amendment 1 is a Wolf in Sheep's Skin and There's Proof! Vote No on 1 this November!
Last week, we posted a blog to inform you of why you should vote NO on Amendment 1 this November. We explained…
We Did It- But We Are Not Done!
Congratulations to all those who went out and voted yesterday! With an amazing 73% of the votes we were able to get…
An Entirely Solar Roof... The Future In The Making
We've all heard of Elon Musk, our very own Tony Stark, but have you heard of his newest plan? How would you…
Is The Time Right For A Personal Revolution?
Are you tired of waiting for someone to solve the energy problem? If you’re like me, you might be ready to take…